Stay Informed: We’re 53 days until Election Day! Are You Registered to Vote?
We’ve been sharing information on voter registration pertinent to our city: from our blog posts to social media, reposting, and sharing. But what about the efforts being done within our state beyond the “5 boroughs”? Everyone else has been pitching in and getting involved, spreading the message digitally and on foot. From local governments & community organizations to regular citizens wanting to make a difference through grassroots efforts. This is most evident as seen by the enormous efforts done by the Yonkers Public Library.
So, if you live in Westchester County or know someone who lives there, have a look at this blog post from YPL and share it! We also applaud them including key information for military/special federal voters.
As the summer draws to a close, we can see Election Day on the horizon! Sure, we’ve been knee-deep in electioneering for what seems like ages already, but there are now only two months left before we actually head to the polls. Voting, of course, is the very foundation upon which our democracy rests - it’s the single best opportunity most of us will ever have to shape the direction of our country. And yet, so few of us seem to do it! Here’s a startling statistic: In the 2016 presidential election, 102 million people didn’t vote - that’s far more than voted for any single candidate. The vote is our voice, and it should be used loudly and regularly. Use your voice. Vote!
So, the first question is: Are you registered to vote? If you’re NOT, you can download a copy of the Voter Registration form from the Westchester County Board of Election’s Web site (where it is also available in Spanish). Keep in mind, this is a PAPER form - it has to be printed out, filled in, and mailed back to the Board of Elections at:
Westchester County Board of Elections
25 Quarropas St.
White Plains, NY 10601
You can register to vote ONLINE through the Department of Motor Vehicles IF you already have a New York State Driver License and the DMV’s records have your name, address, date of birth, and gender.
Not sure if you’re registered to vote? The New York State Board of Elections has an online Voter Registration search! It will tell you whether or not you are already registered as well as where your polling location is.
Remember, THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN THE GENERAL ELECTION online, in-person, or by mail is OCTOBER 9, 2020. If you’re registering by mail, that means your registration must be postmarked by October 9th.
For more information on registering to vote, head over to the Westchester County Board of Election’s Web site. Or, drop in on our virtual workshop on registering to vote on Tuesday, September 15, 2020! Visit our online calendar to register for the program.
Or, better yet, stop by any of the branches on Tuesday, September 22 - it’s National Voter Registration Day! Volunteers will be at Riverfront, Will, and Crestwood to show you how to register, sign up for election reminders, request mail-in ballots, learn about early voting options, and more. Help us celebrate our democracy by registering to vote in-person at your local library!
Key dates for voting:
- October 9, 2020 - Last day to postmark a mail-in application to register for general election
- October 9, 2020 - Last day for in-person application at Board of Elections to register for general election
- October 14, 2020 - Last day for changes of address to be received by Board of Elections for general election
- October 27, 2020 - Last day to postmark application or letter of application for absentee ballot for general election
- November 2, 2020 - Last day to apply in person for absentee ballot for general election
- November 2, 2020 - Last day to postmark absentee ballot for general election (must be received by the county board of elections no later than November 10, 2020)
- November 3, 2020 - Last day to deliver absentee ballot for general election in person to county board of elections (by close of polls on election day)
Key dates for military/special federal voters:
- October 9, 2020 - Last day for board of elections to receive application for special federal absentee ballot for general election if NOT previously registered
- October 24, 2020 - Last day for board of elections to receive application for military absentee ballot for general election if NOT previously registered
- October 27, 2020 - Last day for board of elections to receive application for special federal or military absentee ballot for general election if ALREADY registered
- November 2, 2020 - Last day to apply in-person for military absentee ballot for general election if ALREADY registered
- November 2, 2020 - Last day to postmark special federal/military absentee ballot for general election (must be received by county board of elections no later than November 16, 2020)
Learn more about the Yonkers Public Library by visiting YPL.org.
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published